To inquire about a painting, please contact Laurie at email@example.com
Member at Large, Board of Directors: International Society of Scratchboard Artists
Laurie’s passion for wildlife is evident in her detailed, award-winning paintings. Much of her life has been spent immersed in the beauty of nature and wildlife observation.
Laurie was fortunate in her teen years to be tutored by a nature artist from the Wedgewood Company of England, and had her first one-person gallery show at the age of 16, in Morristown, New Jersey. She then received a scholarship to study art and music at Marlboro College, Vermont. As a young adult, Laurie explored graphic arts, illustration, and jewelry making, selling at East Coast and Colorado fine craft shops, galleries, and major art fairs for many years. Also a professional full-time harpist since 1985, she began painting again in 2005.
Her paintings have been shown in galleries in the discerning art communities of Sedona, Tubac, and Jerome, Arizona; and in Seattle-area galleries and juried shows listed below. Her work was featured on the cover of the June 2007 issue of the Journal of the American Veterinary Association. Most recently, her painting “Iguana” has won Best in Animals and Wildlife category in the 2019 online exhibition of the International Guild of Realism. The show is online from March 20 to May 20, 2019. See it at http://www.realismguild.com/exhibitions/current.php
In the wild, animals are elusive, and often seen only briefly. To bring a true appreciation of their personalities to the viewer, every pose and expression must be real, without added sentimentality or idealism. I strive to give the viewer an awareness that every creature is sentient. It is my intention to inspire the viewer to support the preservation of wildlife and habitat, and the right of every wild-born animal to roam free. Viewers, many of whom may not have the opportunity to see these animals in their natural habitats, have remarked to me that when they spend time with my paintings, they develop a deep relationship with them. I am grateful that my work inspires such meaningful experience.
Shows and Galleries:
Laurie currently shows her work at juried shows and in her gallery in Port Townsend, WA. She is member of the International Guild of Realism and the International Society of Scratchboard Artists.
International Guild of Realism online juried show, March 20 – May 20, 2019
Past gallery showings:
- Sedona Arts Center, Sedona, AZ
- Pura Vida Gallery, Jerome, AZ
- Canyons Gallery, Sedona AZ
- Kinion Fine Arts, Sedona AZ
- Art and Soul Gallery, Bothell, WA
Past juried shows have included:
- Sedona Arts Festival, AZ
- Edmonds Arts festival, WA
- Glendale Arts Council (AZ) Juried Show (Patron Purchase Award 2007)
- West Valley Art Museum, AZ
- Prescott Fine Arts Fair, AZ
- Sedona Arts Center – various juried shows (2nd Place Professional 2007)
- Tubac Juried Arts Festival, AZ
- Tubac Arts Center Miniature Show
- Tsuga Fine Arts miniature shows, Bothell, WA
- Gallery North Juried Miniature Show, Edmonds, WA
- Fred Oldfield Western Heritage Center Western and Wildlife Art Shows, WA
- Shoreline Arts Festival, Shoreline WA
- Bothell Live Arts, WA
- Mountlake Terrace Festival of the Arts (honorable mention 2010)
- Valley Art Show, Duvall WA (2nd Place 2010)
- Kirkland Art Center Studio Tour 2013